The Yellow Creek School opened in 1906. It can still be seen as of 2013 on the south side of Hwy 64 a little over halfway to Rangely from Meeker. Many dances were held at Yellow Creek School drawing people from both communities. Accounts from the events tell of couples having to dance closely since it was a small building. The school closed in 1943. A noticeable improvement to the original log building included the embossed brick pattern tin siding put on in 1915 by Silas Shanklin. A flash flood in the early 1970’s moved the school away from the creek to where it sits today.
Yellow Creek Rural School
admin2013-11-21T13:47:50+00:00November 21st, 2013|