The Yellow Creek School opened in 1906. It can still be seen as of 2013 on the south side of Hwy 64, a little over halfway between Rangely and Meeker. Many dances were held at Yellow Creek School, drawing people from both communities. Couples tell of having to dance closely since it was a small building. The school closed in 1943.
A noticeable improvement to the original log building included the embossed brick pattern tin siding put on in 1915 by Silas Shanklin. A flash flood in the early 1970’s moved the school away from the creek to where it sits today.