The town of White River City was begun soon after Meeker in speculation of growth in that direction and anticipation of a railway. The town didn’t last long, but the white framed schoolhouse which was built in the fall of 1888 served children of the area until 1954. It was located east of where Piceance Creek joins the White River on Jacob Mesa. This is seen across the river on the mesa which in 2013 is Halliburton property. The school was finally sold and moved to Dark Canyon in Piceance area where it served as living quarters for a cow camp for many years.
White River Rural School
admin2013-11-21T13:45:58+00:00November 21st, 2013|