Residents of the 9 Mile area petitioned for a school as early as 1904. However, contractor W. A. Thomas didn’t receive approval for construction until 1915.Upper Coal Creek finally opened in January 1916. The log structure was 18 feet x 22 feet with a good roof and floor. It was often called the Picture Rock School as it was near Native American rock art. The school closed in 1935.
Upper Coal Creek Rural School
admin2013-11-20T14:54:41+00:00November 20th, 2013|