A log cabin housed the Southside School beginning in 1918. It was one of four schools in the Powell Park area, but the only one on the south side of the White River. School enrollment was small, but it served the children of area farmers and ranches until 1934. This is not a familiar school to many in the Meeker area, even from that time period. After the school closed, it was taken apart and moved a short distance to be made into a one room home. Later it was dismantled again and put as an addition to another home. A family member recalls the logs were numbered as the building was dismantled so it could be rebuilt.
South Side Rural School
admin2013-11-21T13:42:42+00:00November 21st, 2013|