In 1920, Rio Blanco School, a frame structured sided with white clapboard, was built by Pete Cook and Orin T. Morrow. It was located at the SW corner of Piceance Road and Hwy 13. It later became jointly funded by Garfield County and Rio Blanco County. At times, Rio Blanco School and Petrolite School shared the school year (4 1/2 months at each school).
The school closed in 1941. Sometime after that the building was moved to a local ranch.