In 1907 there were at least 10 children of school age between the Banta and Ridgeway families to petition for their own school district. Classes were first held in a room of the Ridgeway home until a school could be built. The log structure was built on the Banta property about half way between the two homesteads but on the south side of the White River. A swinging bridge was built for the children and the teacher boarding in their homes to cross each day for school. It was especially exciting before side rails were added!  Because there were more Ridgeway children attending when the school opened, it was called the Ridgeway school. The Ridgeway family soon moved away, but the Ridgeway School continued through 1927. The school house was later used as a home by the Wardell family until new home construction in the early 1950’s.