In 1888 several homesteading groups planned their schools, but the Powell Park schoolhouse was the first to be completed and ready by Sept. 1. The school was enlarged in 1892 and later box supper dances were held to raise money for a bell. Once the long awaited bell arrived, it took some ingenuity to raise it using hay stackers and overall jackets tied around the bell to move it into the belfry. This bell now hangs outside the White River Museum where the Powell Park merry-go-round can also be seen. The school closed in 1951 but was used as a community center for several years. In the mid 1970’s the building was in disrepair and torn down.