In 1889 the Buford area homesteaders built their own log school near Big Beaver Creek just north of the bridge they had built across the White River by the mouth of the creek. As the population increased, a second story was soon added especially to accommodate social events. When flooding damaged the building, a new site was provided in the early 1900’s.  Materials were reused to build a new school which exists on site as of 2013.  Some additions and modernizations kept it viable through the last classroom use in 1952. As owner of the property, Minewa Bell Roosevelt donated the schoolhouse to the White River Community in 1953 in memory of her father, Alfonso Bell. It continues to be an active community center and in 2006 was placed on the state historical register.

Buford School