Piceance Creek Loop

2013-11-21T11:28:35+00:00November 21st, 2013|

State Highway 13 was known as the “Government Road.” As you travel along County Road 5 look for remaining grasslands, the basis for the Ute name, Piceance, “land of tall grass.” People who came to homestead and establish schools were grain farmers, cattle ranchers and cowboys. A few were also a part of the beginning […]

Burke Rural School

2013-11-21T11:11:57+00:00November 21st, 2013|

In 1919 the fourth rural school was established on Lower Piceance located on the Burke Ranch. It was a one room frame building. The Burke family sent numerous children to this school. They had to carry their water from a spring a half a mile away. When the Burke School closed in 1948, Fred Burke […]

Bar D Rural School

2013-11-21T11:10:28+00:00November 21st, 2013|

Bar D School’s name originated from a livestock brand. It was also known as the Ryan Gulch School and resides on the original site. In 1921 the school was built as a team effort of families in the area. It was built on a native rock foundation with uniform logs that still fit together well, as […]

Rock Rural School

2013-11-21T11:08:38+00:00November 21st, 2013|

Rock School was the longest continuously functioning rural school in Rio Blanco County. The first school was a log building built in 1892. The present building replaced that building and was made of oil shale and sandstone and opened in 1897. Rock School was the last rural school to close its doors to students in […]

Stewart Rural School

2013-11-21T11:06:51+00:00November 21st, 2013|

According to the Record of School Districts, the Stewart School was opened in 1920. It was located north of where Stewart Gulch meets Piceance Creek. The building was built with standard framing lumber and finished with white clapboard. Early school records used the spelling “Stuart.” In 1948, the school was closed. Sometime in the early […]

Rio Blanco Rural School

2013-11-21T11:04:51+00:00November 21st, 2013|

In 1920, Rio Blanco School, a frame structured sided with white clapboard, was built by Pete Cook and Orin T. Morrow. It was located at the SW corner of Piceance Road and Hwy 13. It later became jointly funded by Garfield County and Rio Blanco County. At times, Rio Blanco School and Petrolite School shared […]

Petrolite Rural School

2013-11-21T11:02:49+00:00November 21st, 2013|

The White River Review, May 23, 1912, quoted the people on the Government Road, “there is only one neighborhood out here and it is Valley View,” The people called the school Valley View. Later the school was renamed for an oil well and became know as the Petrolite School. The building was completed by the […]

Josephine Rural School

2013-11-21T11:00:54+00:00November 21st, 2013|

The Josephine School was named after Josephine Meeker, daughter of Nathan C. Meeker. To help the Josephine School get underway, the Petrolite community sponsored box socials and other fund raising events. In September of 1915, Clarence C. Ford built the log structure which was ready for students by November. The last record found of school […]

Go to Top