When a need for the first school in Rangely was realized, Charles P Hill was instrumental in its organization. As the president of the newly formed school district in March of 1888, he wrote the formal request to the County Superintendent of Schools. Hill placed the ad in eastern newspapers and corresponded with Caroline Blakeslee, the first teacher, who also later became his wife.  As Carrie arrived in the Rangely settlement, she found the log school house under construction nearby Mr. Hill’s Trading Post and post office. School terms were varied the first years depending on the number of children and available funds. By 1892 the school population had shifted and a school was built about 2 miles west on the Swarts property.