1883-1889

After the departure of the military, early residents of Meeker and the surrounding areas were, for the most part, either directly or indirectly engaged in ranching. Ranchers managed herds on the rich lands surrounding Meeker, but the town operated as their supply headquarters. In many cases the ranchers faced a day of travel to get to Meeker for supplies, so they did not make the trip often. Business in town thrived on activity from the ranchers, and ranchers depended on supplies available in town. With the larger population of the town as well as the ranchers in surrounding areas, the commercial area quickly grew to include:

  • Two large general stores
  • Lumberyard
  • Two blacksmith and wagon shops
  • Saddlery and harness shop
  • Shoe shop
  • Carpenter
  • Book and stationery supplier
  • Bank
  • Post Office
  • Barber
  • Two delivery stables
  • Express Office
  • Meeker Herald Newspaper
  • School

In 1889 the Hugus mercantile constructed a two-story brick building at the corner of 6th and Main Street, which was designed by Denver architectural firm Fisher & Fisher. This was the first brick building and signaled the turn of Meeker as a small frame-building settlement to Meeker as a thriving modern town and supply center for northwestern Colorado.

Town of Meeker 1887

Town of Meeker 1887