Bar D School’s name originated from a livestock brand. It was also known as the Ryan Gulch School and resides on the original site. In 1921 the school was built as a team effort of families in the area. It was built on a native rock foundation with uniform logs that still fit together well, as of 2013. Energy companies that own the property have put a roof on the school to help reserve the building. Bar D School closed in 1936 because there were not enough students to hire a teacher.